Sunday, November 6, 2011

First Week of Culinary Techniques Class!

So I've always been interested in cooking and toyed with the idea of taking culinary classes for years.  In March, I finally decided to take a tour of FCI  -  I was planning to take their Essentials of Fine Cooking class which is a 40 hour course. The admissions person asked me what I was looking for and suggested I go for the 110 hour class, which provides the foundations of classic French cuisine as well as basic skill sets (creating stocks and mother sauces, filleting fish, breaking down chicken, etc).  he 110 hour class was $7800, which really scared me off from committing and I thought that they were just trying to upsell me on class choice. But then, they allowed me to do an audit of one of the classes (I attended one week) and I loved the format - the class I sat in on had 8 ppl and there were two instructors (lots of personal attention). The format of the class is a quick lecture/demo from the chef, and then students return to their station to execute the recipe. I learned a lot from that one class and it convinced me to commit. I'll have a 5 hour class from 9:30 - 2:30 every Saturday for the next 22 weeks!  I'm excited to get started!

Well, class starts with an introduction to the kitchen and a log of all the tools that we received as part of the course.  I have a big tool bag with about 30 different items, I have six different knives!  (Chef's knife, paring knife, boning knife, fish knife, bread knife, and a knife that I don't even know what to do with).  Week 1 is all about knife techniques: we learned the different type of taillage (cutting) for preparing vegetables, and here are the results:

Taillage of Turnips and Carrots: Julienne, Macedoine, and Brunoise

No comments:

Post a Comment