Monday, February 3, 2014

Ramen Obsession #1: Hinomaru Ramen in Astoria!

Ever since I watched David Chang's Mind of a Chef on Netflix, I've been OBSESSED with ramen.  My brother had recommended Hinomaru Ramen a while ago and now was the perfect time to try it.

Buta Kimchi - pork belly with sauteed kimchi, topped with bonito flakes - pretty simple dish but very good, this would be perfect over rice


Crispy Fried Pig Ears - we were deciding between this and the fried chicken cartilage - the pig ears were excellent, really crispy and spiced nicely


Rock shrimp tempura, spicy mayo and sweet corn - the shrimp was exactly what i wanted it to be, and the corn adds a nice touch


Hinomaru (New York Style) Ramen: Creamy pork broth w/chashu, kikurage, scallion, menma, bean sprouts, fish cake, nori, fire ball - the fire ball is their signature topping (miso paste with different hot spices)- personally, I wouldn't use all that they give you since the extra miso throws off the salt levels in the broth (which I liked as is)


Uni Ramen w/ Parmesan Cheese, topped with Shiso and Nori: this was definitely what I was looking forward to the most when I checked Hinomaru's menu online. I wouldn't really call this traditional ramen since the broth was used sparingly and seemed more of a dipping sauce (it sorta reminded me of a ramen broth based soupy alfredo sauce). Interesting dish, glad I ordered it


Chicken Ramen: chicken based broth with chicken meat ball and poached egg - the broth tasted really clean, this seems like something you'd get if you went to a Japanese family's house for a home cooked meal



HinoMaru Ramen
33-18 Ditmars Blvd
Astoria, NY 11105
http://hinomaruramen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment